Welcome Guest to Charlie's FlyBox!
Parachute Blue Wing Olive
Parachute Blue Wing Olive View this recipe at Charlie's FlyBox
click here for tutorial »
Charlie's flybox Charlie's flybox
Pattern Parachute Blue Wing Olive
Parachute Blue Wing Olive
click to enlarge
Category Dries
Entered Sun, 24 Sep 2006
Print/Save printable version
Print normal

Materials Needed: All materials used here available for mail order. Please use the contact form for pricing and details.

Hook: TMC 100 #16-24............................ Thread: 10/0 Gudebrod, gray....................... Tail: Gray Spade hackle fibers......................... Wing: White or gray McFlylon............................. Hackle: Blue Dun (gray) rooster neck or saddle feather..................... Abdomen: Olive Gray Goose Biot....................... Thorax: Olive Gray Superfine Dubbing.................
Pattern Description
Fall is here and the Blue wing Olives are either happening or about to happen on all of our favorite rivers. This simple parachute pattern has become a go-to fly for me over the years, particulary for fish that are eating a random bug here and there rather than rising steadily (I like the Mole Fly for steady risers...always go with the given;-) The main point of this tutorial is a new to me technique of tying your parachute hackle off on the actual parachute post rather than onto the hook shank. I had been hearing of this method for a couple years but had always been happy with my old method...until one day I finally tried it and yes, I must admit, the tie off on the post is both easier and cleaner all around. I thought I'd throw in the biot abdomen option on this fly as well. I spent alot of days this summer fishing Parachute flies from the bow of Captain Prowse's ClackaCraft, and found that the biot bodied flies seemed to resist getting soaked better than standard dubbed bodied flies, so I have been working more biots into my fishing rotation. Anyway...there's alot to learn on this one simple little pattern, so you best get started...this tutorial also has a few new features I worked in through Photoshop to help show the path of the thread on some of the critical steps. Please let me know what you think!